Wednesday, November 28, 2007


SARAJEVO, Bosnia (November 28,2007) - The trial of Serbian war criminals Zeljko Mejakic, Momcilo Gruban, Dusan Fustar and Dusko Knezevic charged with crimes committed in the Omarska and Keraterm concentration camps,during the 1992-1995 Serbian aggression against Bosnia, has been postponed because the Defence teams and the Bosnian State Prosecutor are not adequately prepared yet.

The case has been put on hold because the Defence attorneys have not submitted its proposed list of evidence to the Trial Chamber of the Bosnian State Court.

"We cannot continue with the main trial today, because we have been informed that the Prosecution has not arranged for translation of all transcripts which will be presented as material evidence. Also, the Defence teams have not provided us with the list of evidence they intend to present. Earlier on, the Bosnian State Court asked the Defence teams to formulate their evidence," the Trial Chamber Chairman Saban Maksumic said yesterday.

The Trial Chamber has asked the Defence teams to submit the list of their proposed material evidence and the list of witnesses they would like to examine by Tuesday, December 4 at the latest.

Serbian war criminals Zeljko Mejakic, Momcilo Gruban, Dusan Fustar and Dusko Knezevic are charged with having committed murder, beating, rape and torture of Bosnian and Croatian civilians detained by the genocidal Serbian aggressor in Omarska and Keraterm concentration camps in 1992.

The Bosnian State Prosecutor pointed out that the transcripts containing statements of all witnesses given before the Bosnian State Court - "except witness K010" - have been translated and submitted to the Defence.

"This morning, the Prosecution received the translation of the remaining statement. The document is being copied at the moment and we shall hand it over to the defence after the hearing. All other transcripts were mailed to the defence. We also sent them to the indictees in the detention units," said Kidd.

Attorney Vinko Kondic reiterated that the proposed list of evidence was submitted to the Bosnian State Court by Serbian war criminal Momcilo Gruban's defence team. The attorneys of the other three Serbian war criminals said that they would submit their lists at a later stage.

Serbian war criminal Dusko Knezevic's defence has halted the preparation of the evidence list because they still have not received all transcripts from the Bosnian State Prosecutor.

The Bosnian State Prosecutor started presenting its evidence against the four Serbian war criminals in February 2007. So far, it has examined more than 40 witnesses and presented more than 190 pieces of material evidence.

The trial is due to continue on Friday, November 30.

No comments: